- Lignocaine Hydrochloride I.P. 2%
- Adrenaline I.P. 1:80,000
- Xicaine is a local anesthetic medication available in a 30ml form.
- It works by reversibly blocking nerve transmission in a specific area of the body where it is applied.
- The active ingredient in Xicaine binds to sodium channels in the nerve membrane, preventing the entry of sodium ions upon membrane depolarization.
- The addition of a vasoconstrictor like Adrenaline to Xicaine can extend the duration of the anesthesia by reducing blood flow around the injection site. This can help lower the risk of adverse systemic reactions and maintain a stable concentration of the local anesthetic in the bloodstream.
- Xicaine is indicated for infiltration or nerve block injection procedures.
- Adults: The recommended dosage is generally 2ml. In the case of large interventions, 4ml may be used. If a prolonged procedure is necessary, the dosage can be increased to 4-6ml if deemed necessary.
- Adolescents (between 14 and 17) and the Elderly: The usual dose is 1.8ml. It is important not to exceed 3.75ml.
- Children (between 6 and 14): The usual dose is 1 to 1.5ml. It is important not to exceed 2.5ml.
- Dilution Ratio: The medication should be diluted at a ratio of 1:80000.
Important Note: This medication should not be used in children under 3 years of age.
Ensure that the patient does not have any known hypersensitivity to local anesthetics of the amide type or vasoconstrictors. Also, check if the patient has any contraindications such as arterial hypertension, coronary disease, or valvular cardiac disease.
- Calculate the required dosage based on the age and condition of the patient, following the dosage guidelines provided:
- Adults: Generally, administer 2ml of Xicaine. Increase the dosage to 4ml for large interventions, and if a prolonged procedure is necessary, it can be increased to 4-6ml if deemed necessary.
- Adolescents (14-17 years) and the Elderly: Administer 1.8ml of Xicaine. Do not exceed a dosage of 3.75ml.
- Children (6-14 years): Administer 1 to 1.5ml of Xicaine. Do not exceed a dosage of 2.5ml.
- Dilution: Dilute the Xicaine solution using a ratio of 1:80000. Follow the instructions provided for the appropriate dilution process.
- Xicaine is intended for infiltration or nerve block injections.
- Ensure aseptic technique while preparing the injection site.
- Administer the appropriate dose of Xicaine at the desired site using the preferred injection technique (infiltration or nerve block).
- Observe the patient for any signs of adverse reactions or systemic effects after administration.
- Monitor the patient’s vital signs, such as blood pressure, heart rate, and respiratory rate, as needed.
Note: This medication is not suitable for use in children under 3 years of age.